Friday, October 28, 2011

A Desire of My Heart

I have one last water adventure to tell you, for now.  Two years ago, I was awarded a prize at the Women's Care Center, Walk for Life.  I roll threw this event every year to help raise money for The Center.  As I rolled up to claim my prize there were chuckles around the room because the prize was a Water Rafting Trip down the Ocoee River.  Surely I would not be able to claim this prize for my own!
Little did these people know that it had always been a secret desire of mine to go white water rafting. There was One who knew and that was my Lord and Savior.  You could say, it was on my bucket list.  These people did not know my adventurous spirit either.   The Walk is the last weekend in September and my tickets expired in October so I immediately called to make my reservations.  So the third weekend in October we were set to go.
The Friday before we were to go I was working at The Center and I ventured into the Director's office.  "Guess where I'm going tomorrow?" I asked.  "White water rafting".  She was shocked and quick to tell me that I could not go.  "Well, you gave me the tickets", I answered.
"Well you weren't suppose to use them", she said.  "What if you fall in?"
This was my answer:  "Most of my life I have wanted to white water raft.  God knew my desire, and without even asking Him for it, he gave it to me. It's not only your gift but it's His gift and His gifts are perfect.  It will be the perfect day.  I am not worried about the weather or falling in.  It's going to be great.  I can't wait.  Thank you so much.  God has used you to fulfill this dream so don't worry and be happy for me."
So Saturday morning my husband and I bundled up and with a change of dry clothes and shoes, we set off for the Ocoee River.  The Ocoee is where the kayaking competition was done during the summer Olympics. 
It was 58 degrees and no rain.  The leaves were slow in changing that year but the Thursday before the mountains exploded into color. So adored in the most fashionable wind suits and a few how-to instructions, we pushed off into the water.  I felt like Cleopatra as everyone lifted the boat into the water with me in it.
It was chilly but the water was a warm 72 degrees, so even though we were soaked to the bone within the first 60 seconds,  the constant drenching we were getting kept us warm.  No one in our boat fell in although once I wasn't sure if I had or not.  That wall of water you see to your right in the second picture, washed over me in picture three, right in front of the guide, which is where I was sitting.  I half way expected to be in the water but "surprise" I was still in the boat.  It was a memory for the books.  The scenery was gorgeous, I never got cold and it was a real thrill ride for sure.
I am so thankful the Lord gave me this heart's desire as He has done many times over.  I am so very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment