Thursday, December 27, 2018

The Widow's Mite

I have been lax in keeping up with my posts but sometimes I just burst with a  story I must tell, ASAP!!
I love many things about Christmas, lights, music, food, family, and giving.  
Giving brings me so much joy.  A great day for me is spoiling someone else in some way.  
Since October 1st I have been trying to raise money for my Ms. Wheelchair Tennessee expenses.  My husband along with my close friends use every opportunity to help me by getting the word out that I need support.  But let me tell you, it's not easy and asking people for money is difficult. 
This brings me to my special little Christmas story.  
My husband drives a van to transport elderly, disabled or just those with state insurance to their appointments.  One man, we'll call Joshua, has been riding with Glen for about 10 years.  Joshua and his mother don't have much at all and last year we had the great blessing of helping provide a Christmas Tree and decorations for them along with some food.  
Just before Christmas, he had a Doctor's appointment where I work.  When he came to check in, he talked about how happy he was to hear about my reward, (meaning Ms. Wheelchair Tennessee).  The nurse came to put him in a room but first, he came to my door and held out his fist.  Clearly, he had something in it.  Having raised boys, I'm always leery of a closed fist.  It could be a frog, after all. 
But I cupped my hands under his as he dropped every cent he had into it and said, "Here, I know it's not much but I want you to use it to help you get to Arkansas so you can get the big reward." (Ms. Wheelchair American). This was everything this young man had. EVERYTHING and he gave it to me.  It might as well have been a million dollars because that's how I felt.  Tears welled up in my eyes, not wanting to take it but I knew I had too.  I treated this fifty cents with all the respect, if not more than I would one from a major company.  Glen delivered a personal thank you note to him the next day along with food.  

This story reminds me so much of the story of the Widow's Mite in Mark 12.
Many people were putting in offerings at the temple. A poor widow put in a few cents.  Jesus told his disciples that this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others.  They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything. 
Her heart was in the right place and so was Joshua's.  If he only knew how many lives he has now touched and will continue to touch with his fifty cents. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment