Saturday, March 10, 2012

What a Joy!

I was four months pregnant when I had to leave Gerry for the last and final time.  So once again, we moved in with Mom and Dad.  This pregnancy was very different because I wasn't sick a day of it.  I enjoyed every moment to the fullest.  I still took a tumble in my last month but I fell backwards so the baby and I both came out unharmed in any way.
Clay was born in early December.  I had such an easy time but it was not to be for my little son.  He was so very sick and ended up going in for stomach surgery at six weeks.  He did pretty well after that until he was about 10 months old.  He came down with a stomach virus and there was a lot of diarrhea.  After three days, I called his Doctor.  He called in some medicine but it didn't help.  We called the office again and once again were told not to bring him in but just give him clear liquids.  Well he couldn't keep those down either.  We could see his little ribs and dark circles were forming under his eyes.  We were getting up two or three times a night to change his bed till one night we knew we had better take him to the E.R.
The doctor at the hospital remarked that he was the palest baby he had ever seen but did nothing for him.  We were told to call his doctor in the morning, which we did but still no appointment, that was on a Thursday.  
So I called another pediatric physician in town and asked if I could get my baby in.  She said, "Not till Monday."  I began to cry and told her my baby would not live till Monday.  They let me bring Clay in on Saturday morning.  The Doctor immediately admitted him to the hospital and they began pumping him full of fluid.  I had to run home for a little bit to get some things and when I came back, Clay had swelled up like a balloon. He was unrecognizable.  After a few days he was getting better so they began putting him back on formula and then a few days more, a little cereal.  Just when you thought he was on the mend he would start all over again with the vomiting and diarrhea.  I remember coming in one morning and the nurse stopped me.  "Cyndi, we have had to give Clay a blood transfusion and the only vein he had left was in the soft spot of his head so don't freak out when you see  him."  It seems he had no protein in his blood.
Well once again we thought we had him on the road to recovery only to take another trip all the way back to square one.  The doctor came in and with tears in his eyes he had to explain that he didn't know what was wrong with him or what to do for him.  Clay had been in the hospital for almost two months and his birthday was coming up.  Dr. Lee said to take him home for the day and he was going to over-night all the reports to Carle Clinic in Champaign.  So we had his one year picture made that day and then returned him back to the hospital.  Dr. Lee came in the next day very excited.  "We know what's wrong.  All the digestive cells lining his stomach have been destroyed.  We need to give them time to repair themselves so he needs to drink a predigested formula and nothing else to eat or drink.   It worked!   Four months later we were able to add soda crackers and rice cereal to his diet.  Little by little we added things until he was back to a regular diet for a toddler.
I spent many long hours on my knees for this little baby but it was all in God's plan to pull me further and further away from that fence I loved to ride so much.
Clay makes me laugh.  He is so funny and kind, athletic and smart.  He is my little surfer dude and is a talented photographer and yes, he still keeps me on my knees.
I love my sons so very much.  They are so different.  It boggles my mind how children with the same parents and grandparents can have so many different personality traits, likes and dislikes.  It just shows what a awesome God we have.  Even with the same DNA, He creates us to be one-of-a-kind. I love that.
Next time I will share with you the story of the handsome guy on the far left.  Till then...God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment