Thursday, October 25, 2018

A DATE WITH CITY HALL

For a long time, I have been very frustrated with the downtown area of Dayton.
The curbs are not wheelchair accessible, so for me to visit a store or restaurant on the opposite side of the road from where I'm parked, I have to get in my van and drive around the block and park on the other side.  I can not cross the street at most of the lights. 

So at the very top of my agenda was to meet with the city officials and discuss this problem.   They have made many upgrades to beautify this little town but this had not been addressed. 

The Mayor, City Manager, and their staff were more than happy to meet with me and discuss not only the curbs but anything else that might need to be changed to compensate people in wheelchairs.  Michelle Horton, the City Recorder had already attended a meeting about the specifications.  We will begin to see changes on some of the sidewalks as early as next month.  Market Street, which is our main road through town, won't be addressed till next year because of the budget. The good news is, there is a plan in action. 

If you live in Tennessee and need me to come to your town and meet with your City Officials about accessibility in your city, let me know. 




No comments:

Post a Comment