Saturday, September 3, 2011

Boot Scoot Boogie

Christmas Eve I sat up for the first time and Christmas Day I was allowed visitors.  I was so excited to see family.  Especially my big brother.  He had gotten a cowboy outfit as a gift and he wore it to the hospital.  He looked amazing.  I wanted one too.  I was a huge fan of Hop-A-Long Cassidy.  I just knew someday I too would have a great outfit like his and a pair of six shooters.
Soon I would get to go home.  My grandfather R. made all kinds of contraptions for me to get around in.  I probably had the first skateboard.  He made a square board with wheels on the bottom for me to scoot around on.  It wasn't long and I left the board behind and was scooting around on my own.  Even after I got my braces, I would come home after school, and kick them off, much like you kick off your shoes, and scoot where I needed to go.  I am sure some of my girlfriends and family will remember those days.  My mom spent a lot of time cleaning tar and grass stains off the bottom of my clothes.  Nothing stopped me.  Barriers are things we create for ourselves.  Were there things I could not do?  Of course. But I didn't dwell on it, I just found another way to be involved.  But trust me when I say, if there was something I really wanted to do...I found a way.

Oh and be careful what you wish for.  You just might get it.  Ride'em Cowboy!

No comments:

Post a Comment