Monday, September 19, 2011

First Day of School

So my mom didn't have to lug me (I mean take me) on the bus everyday to the hospital for therapy, they started me in school at age four so I could have therapy there everyday.  A cab driver came each day to pick me up and take me home.  My first day, however, my mom took me but when I realized she was going to leave me there,  I was terrified.  I couldn't get around in those braces and my mommy did everything for me. She would take me to the bathroom and feed me my favorite things.  Who would care for me there?  I remember mom sitting me on a chair in Mrs. Brown's kindergarten class.  The chairs were in a circle and all these other kids were around that I didn't know.  Now I need to point out that the kindergarten was not a special ed class.  I was the only one in there, well, like me.  When she told me goodbye, and walked out the door, I screamed like nobodies business!
I can only remember screaming like that three times in my life.  That was the first time, the second was when I was five and they were cutting off a body cast.  That doctor came at my little five year old body with that buzz saw and they heard me clear in Chicago.  The third time was the summer just before I turned six and I was at camp.  I was put in a cabin with girls about 6 or 7 years older then me and they thought it would be fun to scare me by telling me there were big spiders in the cabin.  Needless to say, I emptied out the counselor staff meeting.
So back to the story.  I started screaming and mom came back in.  She talked to me a little bit and explained how I had to stay and that I would be taken care of.  Well I showed her.  Before she could get out of the building, I wet my pants.  I knew that would get her back and she would see that these people wouldn't take care of me. Being married to a scout leader for several years she was "prepared"  and had brought another pair of panties.  So much more that idea!  So I settled down and after that day, I was fine.  I made friends and looked forward to painting and playing.
Everyday I got to play with the therapist, or I thought that's what we were doing.  I loved her a great deal.  The whole 13 years I went to school, I only had two therapists so I got very attached. They taught me so many things and challenged me everyday to do more.  I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment