Saturday, September 24, 2011

I Am Passionate About........

Life!    I love life and I feel every human being, from conception, deserves life.  For about four years now I have been volunteering at our local Women's Care Center.  Helping young women who find themselves pregnant, whether planned or unplanned, is very dear to my heart.  So many are left to fend for themselves with no support from family or the father.  Many are pushed into situations that are not healthy for them or their baby.  I love counseling these young ladies.
Having lived with a disability it's hard for me to understand why anyone has the right to decide whether a child lives or dies.  I know not everyone feels this way but it is how I feel and I am passionate about it.  As long as I can remember I have been Pro Life and am very proud of it.  When I worked for Ozark Airlines, 100 years ago it seems, I had a good friend who worked there too, who was also disabled.  In my eyes, her disability was not as severe as my own but she thought otherwise.  Her reasoning, because she had never married and could not have children and I had.  This young woman had an awesome, high paying job for an airline.  She owned her own home and had traveled all over the world for about the price of a tank of gas in your car.  She was very funny and was well liked by everyone.  She had some deformities internally and physically but nothing you really noticed once you got to know her.  What if her mother had opted for an abortion?  Think of the life this person would have missed but most of all, I think of what we would have been deprived of by not getting the extreme privilege of knowing her.
Today I rolled through my 4th Women's Care Center Walk For Life.  What a beautiful day God gave us.  I am honored to be a part of this wonderful ministry.  I was at the front of the 300 walkers along with the young children you wanted to walk behind the banner.  I was well entertained by their conversation.  They began a discussion on birth marks.  As one little girl was telling about her birthmark on her arm, the little boy next to her says "You don't even want to know where my birthmark is!"   Children are such a special blessing.  If you want to smile, have a conversation or just listen to the conversation of a child.  What right do we have to take a child "out"?  Who would that child have been?  He or she could have discovered a cure to some terrible disease or became a great leader.  Only God Knows. 
Several years ago God began to work in my heart about getting involved in a ministry again.  Two friends kept telling me about the Center but I thought God had a different job for me to do.   Well I was wrong.  I went to speak to the young woman in charge of volunteers and immediately felt at home.  God had a place for me here and I knew it.  Issues from my past surfaced through Volunteer Training and healing in my own life took place.  I saw, once-again, how a trial or traumatic time in a persons life could be used for good and God's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment