Monday, September 5, 2011

Once A Marine

My daddy is the ultimate example of God's plan at work.   He is a World War II Disabled Veteran. A Marine who was shot in the head on the beaches of Okinawa. This left the nerves on one side of his body paralyzed, no feeling whatsoever.  Sometimes this worked to his advantage.  At age 82 he broke out with shingles on his back but he didn't even know he had them.  Mom just happened to spot the rash.  Shingles is a very painful condition for most.  As children on a long trip we would amuse ourselves by trying our best to hurt him.  We would pinch him or stick him with something and say "Did you feel that?"  His answer was always "no".  What a good sport he was and still is.  Daddy never drove a car after his injury but really, other than that, he did not let his disability become an excuse for not being all that he could be and he became quite a man.
My grandfather thought it would be good therapy for my dad to become involved in helping him with his Boy Scout Troop.  Daddy retired from being a scout master after 55 years.  Had it not been for dad's injury, he may have never gotten involved in scouting.  I am in awe at all the young men's lives he as influenced over 55 years time.  He even had the one millionth Eagle Scout in the nation in his troop.  He has been given every possible award that can be given in scouting.
Not only did his injury jump start this passion for scouting but it also prepared him to be the father of a disabled child.  My daddy has always been my example of how living with a disability can spark an ability in you to do other things.  Therefore you are not disabled but enabled. 
So now the Lord has put me in a loving Christian home with a mother who is physically able to care for me and emotionally able to not shelter or over protect me and to let me fly. He has given me a father who will instill in me the "no limits" attitude to make it in this world.  God has put me in a town with all the resources I  need to learn my independence.  Can you see God's hand yet?  Well there is more to my dad's story.  Something that will leave you without question, God's plan.  There are no coincidences in life people.  Just God's perfect plan.  He makes no mistakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment